Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)
Digital Photography and Imaging
Exercises and Projects
Exercise 1: Hearst Mansion
For the Heart Mansion exercise, we were to place ourselves within Hearst Mansion using the skills we learnt in class. Below is the original photo and after is my version of the photo with me placed in it.
![]() |
| Original Hearst Mansion (Above) |
![]() |
| Altered Hearst Mansion (Above) |
The 2nd exercise was to use the technique of using the blending tool along with the masking tool to create a ghost house and also replace the background for another image. In this exercise we also used the match color tool. The photo layers used for the exercise can be seen below
Below the final product of the ghost house can be seen from using these tools and the photo layers.
![]() |
| House for the ghost house (Above) |
![]() |
| Background for the ghost house exercise (Above) |
![]() |
| Ghost for the ghost house exercise (Above) |
![]() |
| Ghost House Exercise (Above) |
![]() |
| Sky replacement for background exercise (Above) |
![]() |
| Replacing Background Exercise (Above) |
Exercise 3: Recoloring exercise
The 3rd exercise was focusing on recoloring photos . This was done through masking and using the blending mode along with the paint tool. The first section for this exercise was to recolor the photo below.
After using the tools and skills we learnt within class, the final product can be seen below.
After finalizing the first section, our next task was to take an old photo we have and recolor it to further cement our skills learnt. The photo I used was from my father when he was very young. This photo can be seen below. As well as the final product. The reason is the crop was to fit the size that was required for the assignment.
Exercise 4: Changing one's stripes
The exercise for this week was to change the texture of objects using the displacement mapping tool. To do this, you would have to turn the object you want to texture to be mapped to, into a black and white psd file. The first texture we changed was of the photo of the black and white man and placing a snakeskin texture upon him. We had also used the masking tool to only show the texture where it should be. The original photo and the final product can be seen below.
After that we used the skills learnt to practice some more by creating a waving flag. This was done by combining a rippling fabric texture with a flat image of the Indian flag. Both these images can be seen below as well as their combination.
The 3rd exercise was focusing on recoloring photos . This was done through masking and using the blending mode along with the paint tool. The first section for this exercise was to recolor the photo below.
![]() |
| Black and white photo of man to recolor (Above) |
![]() |
| Final recolored photo of man (Above) |
![]() |
| Dad's original photo (Above) |
![]() |
| Dad's recolored photo (Above) |
The exercise for this week was to change the texture of objects using the displacement mapping tool. To do this, you would have to turn the object you want to texture to be mapped to, into a black and white psd file. The first texture we changed was of the photo of the black and white man and placing a snakeskin texture upon him. We had also used the masking tool to only show the texture where it should be. The original photo and the final product can be seen below.
![]() |
| Black and white photo of man to replace texture (Above) |
![]() |
| Man with replaced snake skin texture (Above) |
![]() |
| Flag of India (Above) |
![]() |
| Rippling fabric texture (Above) |
![]() |
| Final image of rippling Indian flag (Above) |
Lastly, we were to create our own image by replacing the texture of one thing for another to make a wild piece. What I did was to create an electronic almost cyborg man. This was done by taking the picture of a black and white model and placing an electronic texture upon him. This final product can be seen below. I had also changed the color of the texture to my liking using the hue and saturation tool. There is also the same texture found within his eyes just colored differently through hue and saturation.
![]() |
| Final product of texture replacement exercise (Above) |
Exercise 5: The Castle of Pyrenees
In week 5, we were left to our own skillsets and what we had learned so far to recreate an old art piece. We had to find our own layers and merging them together to create the piece. The original art piece can be seen below.
![]() |
| Original Castle of Pyrenees artwork (Above) |
The layers I used to recreate this piece can be seen below.
![]() |
| Castle asset (Above) |
![]() |
| Water asset (Above) |
![]() |
| Moss texture for rock (Above) |
![]() |
| Rock asset (Above) |
After collecting all the layers needed to recreate the photo. I used all the tools we had learnt thus far. This means using the masking tool, match color, and blending modes etc. The final product after merging all the layers together can be seen below.
![]() |
| Recreation of The Castle of Pyrenees (Above) |
Task 1: Surrealist Photo
The project or task we were to make was to make our own surrealist photo. The first part of this project was planning. To do this, I had sketched out ideas though I felt all my ideas sketched out weren't very good. So I continued to think about what I really wanted to do. These sketches can be seen below.
After some thinking, I settled on a final idea of making a zebra having its "skin" pulled off for it to actually be a white horse. The layers I used for this project can be seen below.
The use for the cloth layer was to create the skin effect being pulled off. I displaced the zebra texture along the horse and the cloth. The oxpecker bird, is the bird I had chosen to create the motion of pulling the skin off. I chose the oxpecker because these birds are found on the backs of animals. The final surreal photo from combining these photos can be seen below.
The project or task we were to make was to make our own surrealist photo. The first part of this project was planning. To do this, I had sketched out ideas though I felt all my ideas sketched out weren't very good. So I continued to think about what I really wanted to do. These sketches can be seen below.
![]() |
| Sketches for surreal photo (Above) |
![]() |
| Cloth for horse (Above) |
![]() |
| White horse (Above) |
![]() |
| Zebra texture (Above) |
| Oxpecker bird (Above) |
![]() |
| Final surreal photo (Above) |
After creating our still surreal photo, we were to animate it using After Effects. The way I animated mine was to give dust pass the horse while having his zebra skin subtly wave in the wind. The bird would also lower itself with the skin. My final product for the animation can be seen below.
Final animated surreal photo (Above)
Final Project: Recreation of Surrealist Art
The task for the final project was to recreate a piece of surrealist art from an artist that was provided. This work that I would recreate by the artist John Brosio can be seen below.
| Work by John Brosio (Above) |
To recreate the work, we were to use stock photos we found or photos taken by us. Seen below are the photos I have compiled to use to recreate the work. Some layers may be changed within the future.
![]() |
| Compiled stock photos to use (Above) |
Starting from the left to right, the first two photos for smoke will be used to recreate the smoke seen in the original image. After that is the first image of a crow which will be the standing crow seen on the right in the original piece. The panoramic waterfront will be used for the buildings seen in the piece. The 2nd crow is for the crow on the left of the artwork. The clouds will be added for the background. As for the car, it is a layer meant to be the truck seen in the original artwork. 2nd to last, are the mountains which can be seen behind the house. The final layer is a sidewalk to go over the buildings of the waterway. Putting all these layers together with rough blending and masking results in what can be seen below.
After some touchup and putting each layer through a filter to give the image a more painted look like the original image, the final product can be seen below/.
I then brought the Photoshop file into After Effects, where I used the puppet tool for the birds. Creating movement in the tail feather to wag while making the crow on the right appear to breathe. I also caused the smoke to rise through looping the movement of the smoke layers overlayed on top of each other with lowered opacity. Lastly I made the car move across the screen.
![]() |
| 50% of final piece (Above) |
After some touchup and putting each layer through a filter to give the image a more painted look like the original image, the final product can be seen below/.
![]() |
| Final completed piece (Above) |
I then brought the Photoshop file into After Effects, where I used the puppet tool for the birds. Creating movement in the tail feather to wag while making the crow on the right appear to breathe. I also caused the smoke to rise through looping the movement of the smoke layers overlayed on top of each other with lowered opacity. Lastly I made the car move across the screen.
Animated final piece (Above)
































Comments
Post a Comment