Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)
Illustration and Visual Narrative
Exercises and Projects
Exercise 1: Vormator Challenge
The first exercise was to create a creature/character out of shapes within the vormator challenge. These shapes can be seen below.
 |
| Vormator Shapes (Above) |
After digitizing the shapes within Illustrator, I arranged the shapes into the character seen below.
 |
| Vormator Challenge Character (Above) |
Exercise 2 : Forms, Shapes and Shadows
The exercise for this week was to practice our work on creating forms, shapes and how shadows work among them. The practice done can be seen below. We were also to practice shadows on a figure as more practice at home.
 |
| Shape and Form practice (Above) |
 |
| Shadow practice (Above) |
 |
| Shadow figure work part 1 (Above) |
 |
| Shadow figure work part 2 (Above) |
Exercise 3: Digital Light and Shadow
Basing off what we had learnt the week before, we learnt how to create shadows within illustrator. This was done on a pear we had digitized within illustrator. The product can be seen below. From this we were also to colorize our vormator character and add shadows to create more weight and depth to them. This can also be seen below.
 |
| Pear with shadows (Above) |
 |
| A still from the climax of Deadpool 2 (Above) |
In the falling action, Deadpool does a selfless act by taking a bullet for Russel changing the future of Russel's path to good as shown by Cable family returning back to life.
 |
| A still from the falling of Deadpool 2 (Above) |
The conclusion of Deadpool 2, shows all the characters going their paths with all plot threads being closed off, this including the abusive head of the orphanage being killed off allowing everyone to have peace, including Russel.
 |
| A still from the conclusion of Deadpool 2 (Above) |
Project 1: Physical Submission of Vormator
I had went to Fab Space after doing the shading of my vormator character. The way I wanted to bring my character physically was to embroider it. This is because looking at the character, I felt it would look best as a patch such as a cartoon character with not much dept even though there is shading. The final outcome can be seen below, as well as the digital version that I had created.
 |
Digital Vormator Creature (Above)
|
 |
| Embroidered vormator character 1 (Above) |
 |
| Embroidered vormator character 2 (Above) |
Project 2: Frank Sinatra- A Digital Triptych
To start our Project 2, we were to look at 5 given Frank Sinatra songs and come up with a story for them that we would illustrate. The song I had chosen was "The Girl from Ipanema". My interpretation of this song is that the girl is a representation of death and the man is in love with her, meaning he essentially wants to die. I got this interpretation mainly how the people go “aah” and “ooh” as she walks by, like they are dying. As well as the fact that she can't see him. The excerpts I looked at when I got this interpretation can be seen below.
Excerpt 1
“Tall and tan and young and lovely
The girl from Ipanema goes walking
And when she passes
Each one she passes goes "ah"”
Excerpt 2
That when she passes, each one she passes goes "ooh"
Yes, I would give my heart gladly
But each day, when she walks to the sea
Excerpt 3
She looks straight ahead, not at me
After that I started my mood board and concept board, as well as bring in references that I would look at to get an idea. These can be seen below.
 |
| Mood board for digital triptych (Above) |
 |
| Concept board for digital triptych with possible color palette (Above) |
 |
| References for digital triptych (Above) |
After running that, I began to digitize all three art works to tell the story. This digitization can be seen below with the final artworks.
 |
| Digital triptych piece 1 (Above) |
 |
| Digital triptych piece 2 (Above) |
 |
| Digital triptych piece 3 (Above) |
After that, we had to animate the three pictures. For the first one I had wanted to create a visual effect of lighting revealing the lady to be death. For the second animation, I focused on the souls going towards death. Lastly I tried to further imply death and him can't be together yet so she disappears.
 |
| Animated digital triptych 1 (Above) |
 |
| Animated digital triptych 2 (Above) |
 |
| Animated digital triptych 3 (Above) |
Final Project: The Decisive Moment
For our final project, the story I had gotten was the story titled " Memories: Past, Present, Future" by Hariz. The synopsis of the story is of an old man in a old folks home. He sits smoking a cigarette when two kids from Taylor's University come to visit him to ask him about his life. He goes on to talk about his past including what happened to his marriage and how he had ended up in the old folk's home. The story ends with him smoking another cigarette telling the kids an important message revolving around the importance of family as he did not learn about it till it was too late. From this, I took excerpts from the story that I would aid in illustrating the decisive moment of the story. The excerpts can be seen below.
Excerpt 1
“As I smoke this last cigarette in the pack, I again start to think back at the life I had gone through. They say at 67 years of age, you would have seen everything and experienced life lessons. If you ask me now, I just want to rest. I’ve had my fair share of ups and downs in this long life of mine. It has shaped me to be the man I am today.”
Excerpt 2
“I remember when my daughter was 8 years old, she asked me why I worked so hard. I told her it was so she could have a better life than I did. What she told me next is something I hold to this day: ‘You know I love you so much Daddy, but I’m not sure you love me too. Can you spend more time with me and mummy?’ That shook me and made me realize I had to spend more time with my family. Kids, they really grow up fast, don’t they?”
Excerpt 3
“I gave them a piece of advice: always take care of your parents and remember them when they pass away. Before I knew it, my tears rolled down my face. A mix of sadness and urgency to tell these kids to cherish their parents and to never forget what they’ve done for them. Don’t put them in an old folks’ home, that is plain disrespect towards elders. You say you’re too busy with work? Excuses, you must always make time for your family and parents. You may be someone at the top like an executive or manager, but if you neglect the people who care about you, not only will they push you away, some start to resent you. With that, they were on their way out. Somehow, I feel more at ease now. The things I always wanted to say but never could are finally off my chest. All these bad memories start coming back but now I’ve made my peace with my past. As I pass on my advice to the new generation, my duty as an elder man is fulfilled. With that thought, I pull out another cigarette and light it.”
From there I went on to create the mood board, concept board and bring in references to help explain my idea. These can be seen below.
 |
| Mood board for the decisive moment (Above) |
 |
| Concept board for the decisive moment with possible color palette (Above) |
 |
| Drawing references for the decisive moment (Above) |
 |
| Background references for the decisive moment (Above) |
From there I went on to digitize my artwork. The idea behind my artwork was to put his daughter in the cigarette smoke, as smoke fades, his daughter would to. Trying to use the color palette I had set up for myself. The work in progress piece can be seen below.
 |
| Work in progress of the decisive moment (Above) |
I then added a window to complete the background with a gradient as well as light coming through the glass. I also altered the smoke as I disliked the color and the way the smoke transitioned into the girl. The final image can be seen below as well as the animation we needed to make for the image. The animation is simply the cigarette burning as the colors change very subtly which then causes the smoke to rise into the girl.
 |
| Final piece for decisive moment (Above) |
 |
| Animated piece for decisive moment (Above) |
Comments
Post a Comment