Typography - Project 1

03/05/2019 - 10/05/2019 (Week 5 - Week 6)
Syaqiel Ashri (0338345)

Typography
Project 1: Text Formatting and Expression


Lecture Notes

Lecture 5: Understanding Letter forms
03/05/2019 (Week 5)

Before commencing on our assignment, we were taught by Mr Vinod about understanding the letter forms. From this lecture we learnt about uppercase letter forms and how they may look symmetrical but in fact are not exactly. Examples of this are found within the Baskerville typeface and the Univers typeface. For Baskerville, there are two different strokes for the letter A and the bracket connecting to the serif have different arcs. Meanwhile within the Univers typeface, a close examination of the letter A reveals that the width of the left stroke is thinner than the right stroke. These small details reveal the intricate details that designers put into typefaces to create harmony. Looking at lowercase letter forms can also reveal these details.

We had also learnt that the curved strokes of letter forms must rise above the median line or sink below the baseline. This must occur so that the vertical and horizontal stroke looks identical in size to curved strokes as they meet. Simply meaning that the stroke must cross over one of the lines due to its curve.

After learning about the strokes of a letter form, we learned about their counterpart. The counterpart known as a counter form. A counter form is the negative space in between the strokes of a typeface. This is important to balance alongside the stroke of the letter form. To get a good understanding of this, one must look at the letter form as a shape to understand its balance as a whole.

To round off the lecture, Mr Vinod told us that the basic principles of graphic design applies to typography. This meaning that contrast is applied to typography. Contrast is used to create a hierarchy of information, to create order.

To leave us thinking, a quote was shown by Hannes Von Dohren stating "On the streets, you look at girls (or boys). I look at type." This meaning that as we venture further down this course and understand type more, we will start to notice the small details within the world of typography. 


Lecture 6: N/A

10/05/2019 (Week 6)

Mr Vinod did not commence a lecture due to everyone working on their project. 


Instructions

 



Project 1

Week 5

To start off the project, I had drawn multiple layouts that I may possibly tryout to develop within InDesign. The way I had done this was use lines to show were the body of the text would be while actually writing the title of the article. Though I later learned we are only able to use 2 pages. These rough sketches can be seen below.


Fig 1: Rough layout sketches (Above)

After coming up with ideas of the layout, I had also read the article to possibly get ideas for further layouts. The scribbled writing seen in the right corner are my notes of what I had understood from the manifesto. I then created 3 possible layouts within InDesign, which can be seen below.


The idea behind layout #1, was to put emphasis on the final first as one would say it. This is why it is the only word in black while the others are in white. As for the layout of the body text, the purpose behind the organization of them is that I was trying to create importance within the names of the designers. These designers who are calling for a change, which in turn led to them being like pillars supporting their statement as seen in the layout. 
 Fig 2: Layout #1 (Above)
As for layout #2, the idea behind the headline being placed in that manner was to simulate an idea entering someones head and changing as it exits. The circle is meant to symbolize the head as the words pass through it. As for the body text, there is a large gap seen between the names and the statement. This was done for I was attempting to create this image of a large gap needed to be crossed for this change that they are calling for to happen. 
 Fig 3: Layout #2 (Above)
Lastly for layout #3, the headline is placed in that particular way because I was attempting to show downwards movement. This is because the current way at the time of the manifesto, the path that designers were going and their value within society were going downhill. This in turn leads to the body text being rotated. It was done this way for, due to the current movement, a new direction was needed. Meaning the body text is facing a new direction. A new change. 


Fig 4: Layout #3 (Above)


Week 6

After choosing an overall layout that I thought looked best, which was layout #3 above. I altered it slightly for Vinod had asked if I could find a different way to depict downwards movement. Thus the new altered layout can be seen below. What can also be seen below is the overall composition through blocking.  The typeface I had used was Univers Lt Std just I had for my previous lights. The headline is Univers Lt Std Bold, while the subheading is Univers Lt Std Light. Lastly the body is Univers Lt Std Roman.
Fig 5: Blocking of layout (Above)
Fig 6: Final layout - jpeg (Above)


Fig 7: Final layout - pdf (Above)


Feedback

Week 5: 

The feedback I had gained this week was for the final outcome of my animated type expression. Mr Vinod had said the animation was solid but there was some slight movement but it was alright for now as it occurs when working with frames. We had also gained general feedback on our blog from Mr Shamshul, saying that we should check on the formats of our blogs and make sure everything is there. We should also check that the quality of our work is good. 

Week 6:
For week 6, Mr Vinod stated that I should go back to check the leading and character length of my layouts for I am not following what he had taught us. He had also given feedback on my e-portfolio to always check back to the example blog given to us. Lastly Mr Vinod said to continue working on the project until we at least have the bare minimum of the correct formatting for text and a good idea. Mr Vinod had also said to try another way to depict downwards movement. 


Reflect

Experience

Week 5; Putting everything we have learnt thus far into a larger project was very exciting as we can see how much we have really learnt thus far. Week 6; Looking at the body of text for long making sure everything was okay was a mind-numbing experience but not everything in design will be enjoyable.

Observation

Week 5; When it comes to editing body of text, I would often forget about the important details. Week 6; I found myself decorating the text instead of creating a meaning or an actual idea behind my layout.

Findings

Week 5; The important details such as leading can make or break the text. Week 6; When it comes to creating layouts, as a designer we should always be thinking about why we are doing a certain thing.



Further Reading

I Love Futura by TwoPoints.Net
03/05/2019 (Week 5)




Fig 8: I Love Futura (Above) 

The book I checked out this week was apart of a series called I Love Type. This edition of the book covered the typeface Futura. I chose this book because when it comes to the typeface Futura, I find it appealing to the eye due to its more modern look.

Within the book I learn about how Futura was introduced in 1927 with the motto of "typeface of today and tomorrow". It's amazing to me how such an old typeface has held up so well and lived up to its motto. I had learnt that Paul Renner the designer of the typeface based this typeface to be geometric in nature. Focusing it on circles, triangles and squares.

The book also covers the use of the typeface through the world giving examples of projects that the typeface has been used in. Seeing the typeface in real world examples shows me how to better possibly use it within the future.


I Love Bodoni By TwoPoints.Net
10/05/2019 (Week 6)

Fig 9: I Love Bodoni (Above)

The book I decided to checkout this week relates to the book I looked at last week. This is because they are within the same series. With this book covering the typeface Bodoni. Similar to I Love Futura, the book covers the history of Bodoni and also shows its use with real world examples. I had chosen this book because when it comes to Serif typefaces, I find Bodoni to be a very elegant typeface.  

Bodoni was created in 1798 by Gianbattist Bodoni. The man, Bodoni was an admirer of John Baskerville of the Baskerville typeface. He had also studied french type founders Pierre Simon Fournier and Firmin Didot before jumping into his own typeface. The way Bodoni had designed his typeface was through punch cuts, due to this there were many variations made from his original notes. Only in 1926, the redesigned typeface known as Baur Bodoni from Bauersche Giesserei the type foundry that had also released the futura typeface, was the closest to what the original design had been within the past.

Comments