Typography - Project 2



03/05/2019 - 31/05/2019 (Week 7 - Week 9)
Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)

Typography
Project 2: Font Design


Lecture Notes

Lecture 7: Text
17/05/2019 (Week 7)

During Week 6, Mr Vinod taught us about the importance of the details within text, such as kerning, leading, tracking etc. Kerning refers to the movement of space in between letters. While tracking is the movement of space between words or sentences. Another detail Mr Vinod told us about was letterspacing which is the addition of space between letters. When it comes to letterspacing, its important that lowercase letterforms should not be letterspaced due to them needing the counterforms of other lowercase letterforms to stand and be readable. Uppercase letterforms on the other hand can be letterspaced as they are made to stand on their own. We also quickly covered the different allignments for formatting text and what they do. For example centered text creates symmetry but one has to be careful that the shape of the overall text isnt too jagged. Lastly leading is the space between sentences and it should also be 3 pts above what the type pt is at. Meaning if the type is set at 8 pts, the leading should be 11 pts.


Lecture 8: N/A
24/05/2019 (Week 8)

No lecture was held as we were working on our project.

Lecture 9: Text Indicating Paragraphs
31/05/2019 (Week 9)

For this weeks's lecture we learnt about text indications in paragraphs as well as what are widows and orphans. To highlight text, there are many ways is essentially what the lecture was about. It all results in our minds as a designer. Some possible ways are italize, alternate font's with the same x height, placing a field of color behind the text etc. After we also learnt that a widow is a short line of type left alone at the end of a column of text. While a orphan is a short line of type left alone at the start of a new column. These two things should always be avoided as a good designer. 

Instructions
 



Project 2

Week 7


To start off our 2nd project, we were to choose a typeface that we had wanted to base our own typeface off. The typeface I had chosen was Futura because I had liked its geometrical nature and how modern it looked. After deciding the typeface, we had to dissect it and understand its nature and rules that it had set for itself. This dissection of the letterforms in Futura can be seen below. Something interesting to note from this dissection was that I had discovered that when two strokes meet in the letterform they become straightened out. For example within the letter "a", with the curved stroke meets the vertical stroke, the intersection straightens out very minimally. 
Fig 1: Dissection of Futura "a" (Above)

Fig 2: Dissection of Futura "e" (Above)

Fig 3: Dissection of Futura "m" (Above)

Fig 4: Dissection of Futura "r" (Above)

Fig 5: Dissection of Futura "s" (Above)
After dissecting the typeface, we were to get around to sketching our own typefaces based off our understanding of the chosen typeface. Below are the sketches I did to get an idea of what I wanted my typeface to look like. My idea was to round the corners to make it still modern as futura but be a bit more "fun".


Fig 6: Sketches of Futura based typeface (Above)
Once sketched out, I began to digitize the typeface. The digitization can be seen below.


Fig 7: Digitization of letter "a" (Above)

Fig 8: Digitization of letter "a" (Above)
 Week 8

Once I finished making the letter "a", I had gained a tip from Mr Vinod to make the letter "o" instead and based the rest of the letters of that to be consistent. From there I redesigned my typeface. Below is the process of making the letter "s" using my letter "o"

Fig 9: Digitizing letter "s" using letter "o" (Above)

Fig 10: Digitizing letter "s" using letter "o" (Above)

Fig 11: Digitizing letter "s" using letter "o" (Above)
Week 9

This week I had finished digitizing my typeface, the final product can be seen below. I then was tasked to make a simple poster using the typeface to demonstrate it. In the poster we were to use the phrase "I survived Mr. Vinod's and Mr. Sam's class". This poster can also be seen below. The name of my created typeface is Ash Sans as it is a sans serif font. A pdf version of the poster is also seen below. Hyperlinked is also the link to my created typeface for use.  
 Fig 12: Layout of created typeface (Above)


Fig 13: Poster using typeface (Above)



Fig 14: Poster of typeface pdf (Above)



Feedback

Week 7: 


The feedback I gained this week was both general and specific. For the general feedback, Mr Vinod told us to place blocks within our editorial layouts to understand the visual composition. Specific feedback that I did gain was about my project. Mr Vinod had said the idea was good but the headline did not translate well into the layout of the body making it slightly awkward.

Week 8:

Vinod said that my typeface was not consistent when he first saw it but he liked the idea of it.

Week 9:

Vinod said my typeface now looked consistent but I should alter the weight of the letters "i", "l" and "v" because though they were the same weight, visually they looked lighter. We were also told to put more effort into our reflections to help our lecturers understand us better and to not put things off.


Reflect

Experience

Week 7; Deciphering a typeface by reducing it to its simple shapes is a mind-numbing experience. Week 8; Creating consistency was also a mind-numbing experience as well as aggravating. Week 9; Being consistent resulted in my typeface looking off which was annoying after I was trying to be so careful.   

Observation

Week 7; Typefaces all have rules that they place and follow. Week 8; Being consistent is a lot harder than it looks. Week 9; My typeface looked off even when consistent.


Findings

Week 7; To create a typeface based off another, understanding the rules of that typeface is necessary to know what make it. Week 8; To be consistent, it requires time and patience, without those two things, things will go wrong. Week 9; Sometimes it's okay to be inconsistent in order to create balance ex: my typeface. 



Further Reading

Typographic Universe by Steven Heller and Gail Anderson
17/05/2019 (Week 7)

Fig 15:Typographic Universe by Stevel Heller and Gail Anderson (Above) 
During week 7, I looked at the book seen above. Within this book it showed letterforms in different formats within the world. By this I mean through different mediums such as food, nature, computer generated letterforms with motion to them etc. I had taken an interest to this book because, when it comes to typography, you usually think about letterforms being flat on a 2D plain. This book showed that there are many ways to display letterforms outside of a 2D plain. It shows how creative typography can get, if the designer desires it. 

New Typography By ArtPower
24/05/2019 - 31/05/2019 (Week 8- Week 9)

 Fig 16 : New Typography by ArtPower (Above)

The book shown above is a book comprised of typefaces created by designers of today. Within it, it shows their typefaces, their use and for some, their inspiration behind it. I looked at this book this week because due to the project of creating our own typeface based off another typeface. It allowed me to get some inspiration and fuel my thought process when it comes to designing typefaces.  

Comments