08/26/2019
Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)
Advanced Typography
Exercises
Lecture Notes
Week 1 (8/26/2019)
During this week we learned about the different typographical systems. The systems were taught by our classmates
Week 2 (9/2/2019)
No class due to public holidays
Week 3 (9/9/2019)
No class due to public holidays
Week 4 (9/16/2019)
No class due to public holidays
Week 5 (9/23/2019)
Today my classmates had taught the class about typographic perception and organization.
Instructions
Exercises
Week 1
To start the exercise, I had sketches out rough ideas on ways to execute the typographic systems. These sketches can be seen below.
 |
| Fig 1: Sketches of typographical systems (Above) |
After doing the sketches I attempted to design them within InDesign. Some pictures of the process are seen below as well as version 1 of the designs.
 |
| Fig 2: Radial systems version 1 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 3: Dylational system version 1 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 4: Random system version 1 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 5: Transitional system version 1 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 6: Bilateral system version 1 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 7: Grid system version 1 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 8: Modular system version 1 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 9: Axial system version 1 (Above) |
After gaining feedback, I went back into my designs and did some minor touch-ups with the result seen below.
 |
| Fig 10: Radial system final (Above) |
 |
| Fig 11: Dylational system final (above) |
 |
| Fig 12: Random system final (Above) |
 |
| Fig 13: Transitional system final (Above) |
 |
| Fig 14: Bilateral system final (Above) |
 |
| Fig 15: Axial system final (Above) |
 |
| Fig 16: Modular system final (Above) |
 |
| Fig 17: Grid system final (Above) |
Week 2
During week 2 our task was to work on something known as type play. In this exercise we were to look at anything around us and devise a type from it. My type was based off a batik design I have at home. The batik design can be seen below.
 |
| Fig 18: Batik design (Above) |
From there I dissected shapes from the batik design which I then turned into letters. The letters I was create from this batik would be "G, W, V, E and C". These can be seen below.
 |
| Fig 19: Dissecting batik design 1 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 19: Dissecting batik design 2 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 20: Batik letters from design (Above) |
 |
| Fig 21: Batik G (Above) |
 |
| Fig 22: Batik W (Above) |
 |
| Fig 23: Batik E (Above) |
 |
| Fig 24: Batik V (Above) |
 |
| Fig 25: Batik C (Above) |
To see how the progression of changes through my type can be seen below till the final outcome.
 |
| Fig 26: Batik type version 1 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 27: Batik type version 2 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 28: Batik type version 3 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 29: Batik type final version (Above) |
Week 3
During this week, we were to get to understand type within an image. This was a second part to the type and play exercise. The image I had used was from an aquarium I had gone to. The process of incorporating the text with the image is seen below.
 |
| Fig 30: Type and Play process (Above) |
 |
| Fig 31: Type and Play process 2 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 33: Type and Play process 3 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 34: Type and Play process 4 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 35: Type and Play process 5 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 36: Type and Play process 6 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 37: Type and Play version 1 (Above) |
Week 4
After feedback, Mr Vinod helped me head in a better direction after version 1 of my exercise wasn't working out as well. This new process is seen below, furthering incorporating the blood idea better. With the final image seen at the end.
 |
| Fig 38: Type and Play process 7 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 39: Type and Play process 8 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 40: Type and Play process 9 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 41: Type and Play process 10 (Above) |
 |
| Fig 42: Type and Play final version (Above) |
Feedback
Week 2:
The feedback I gained from Mr Vinod was that my ideas were okay for they were good but basic, or rudimentary as he put it. I had also needed to work on the spacing of the type, as well as not create so much focus on the non objective elements.
Week 3:
Mr Vinod had said the exercise had looked good but I should try my best to maintain the stroke.
Week 4:
No class
Week 5:
Mr Vinod had said the blood idea didn't mix in well because they were simple islands which didn't help play along with the image.
Reflect
Experience
Week 2; During the week I felt very tired and drained in which this led to my lack of creativity within the exercises seen in week 1. Week 3; Doing this exercise I felt it was a lot easier to me than before due to my head getting back into gear. Week 4; No class. Week 5; I found that my idea was in a good spot at first.
Observation
Week 2; I found myself struggling to get creative ideas. Week 3; I found myself working better this week. Week 4; No class. Week 5; I looked at my idea and thought it was a good base but found it could be better
Findings
Week 2; When you aren't at mind with yourself, its hard to get ideas going. Week 3; Sometimes you need to take a breather to get the flow going. Week 4; No class. Week 5; Review is always good because our ideas can always improve.
Further Reading
Basics Design Layout by Harris Ambrose
Week 1- Week 2 (8/26/2019 - 9/2/2019)
Fig 43: Basics Design Layout by Harris Ambrose (Above)
The book I had read this period was focused on design layouts. I looked at this book due to the exercise we were working on based around layouts. I had wanted to look further into what other designers have done.
Type Object by Barbara Browning
Week 3- Week 4 (9/9/2019 - 9/16/2019)
Fig 44: Basics Design Layout by Harris Ambrose (Above)
The book I had decided to check out was Type Object by Barbara Browning. This book was interesting to look at because it showed how type could be created through using real world objects. This idea in a way helped aid during the process of the type play exercise.
Comments
Post a Comment