09/30/2019 -10/7/2019
Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)
Advanced TypographyProject 1
Lecture Notes
Week 6 (09/30/2019)
Today within class we learn about typographic composition. Specifically, environmental composition, environmental grids, and alternative methods for typographic compositions. This was taught by fellow classmates using the presentation seen below.
Week 7 (10/07/19)
For this weeks lecture we were taught about typography in different mediums. Specifically, static vs kinetic typography and print vs screen typography. Static typography to my understanding is plain typography in the sense that there is no movement. Kinetic typography is the opposite , which it is dynamic and animated typography. Print and screen typography is as their names imply, typography on printed medium vs an electronic screen.
Instructions
Project 1
Week 6
For this week I had digitized three ideas. The first was based off Fight Club as the characters are essentially troublemakers creating change within society. The second is based off the idea of "Boy who Cried Wolf" who is also a troublemaker that affected his society. The last idea is simply a photo of a riot officer with flowers, as he is a troublemaker as well fighting for his peace. I presented these ideas and went forward with the "Boy who Cried Wolf" idea but changed it to sign language. The hands end up saying 'change".
![]() |
| Fig 1:Key art idea 1 |
![]() |
| Fig 2:Key art idea 1 |
![]() |
| Fig 3:Key art idea 1 |
![]() |
| Fig 4:Key art idea 1 |
![]() |
| Fig 5:Key art idea 1 |
![]() |
| Fig 6:Key art idea 1 |
![]() |
| Fig 7:Key art idea 1 |
![]() |
| Fig 8:Key art idea 1 |
![]() |
| Fig 9:Key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 10:Key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 11:Key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 12:Key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 13:Key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 14:Key art idea 3 |
![]() |
| Fig 15:Key art idea 3 |
![]() |
| Fig 16:Key art idea 3 |
![]() |
| Fig 17:Key art idea 3 |
![]() |
| Fig 18:Developing key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 19:Developing key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 20:Developing key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 21:Developing key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 22:Developing key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 23:Developing key art idea 2 |
Week 7
After feedback, I went ahead and drew the hands as i was suggested. I also continued working on the overall text layout. This can be seen below. As well as the final key art I settled on.
![]() |
| Fig 24:Developing key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 25:Developing key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 26:Developing key art idea 2 |
![]() |
| Figure 27: Final Key Art |
Feedback
Week 6:
Idea 1,good train of thought, spot on but try to dive deeper into it, to represent it more symbolically. Idea 2, the potential with the hands is there but try to explore a different direction using hands. Idea 3, Its there but its lacking the typographical design
Week 7:
Mr Vinod had said "try drawing out the hands instead". After he said " as it stands good. Better than what it was! That’s said interplay/arrangement could be better for the text. Currently it just doesn’t seem to be well planned - the text ... it’s seems to be a little unsure".
Reflect
Experience
Week 6; I had liked doing this project because it felt a lot more freeing to me personally. Week 7; I felt aggravated slightly doing this project at this point because I felt my idea was good but I couldn't find a layout of the text which I felt was strong.
Observation
Week 6; I found the project a lot more freeing. Week 7; I found myself annoyed that I had to go backwards for my project.
Findings
Experience
Week 6; I had liked doing this project because it felt a lot more freeing to me personally. Week 7; I felt aggravated slightly doing this project at this point because I felt my idea was good but I couldn't find a layout of the text which I felt was strong.
Observation
Week 6; I found the project a lot more freeing. Week 7; I found myself annoyed that I had to go backwards for my project.
Findings
Week 6; When we are invested into a project, ideas come a lot quicker. Week 7; Sometimes to go forward we have to go backwards first.
Further Reading
Week 7 (10/07/19)Of Branded Voices and Funny Hats: A Closer Look at Youtube Sans
By Nina Stossinger
| Fig 28: Of Branded Voices and Funny Hats: A Closer Look at Youtube Sans |



























Comments
Post a Comment