Advanced Typography-Final Project

10/28/2019 -11/18/2019 
Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)
Advanced Typography
Final Project

Lecture Notes

Instructions


Final Project
Week 10-Week 11

To start with our final project, I had numerous ideas but they either didn't make sense or have been done before. The idea I settled on was creating an awareness about endangered animals through type. From there I created an A-Z list of endangered animals, with X going to be for eXtinct. I then began a prototype to show to Mr. Vinod.  
Fig 1: List of animal 
Fig 2: Prototype type 1
Fig 3: Prototype type 2


Fig 4: Prototype type 2.5


Fig 5: Prototype type 3




Fig 6: Prototype type 3.
Week 12

Before I had started on the actual type, I created a board to show all the animals so I would be able to design their type from their characteristics. For example, the first animal, the African Wild Dog has skinny legs and the yellow and black fur with large ears. I would use that characteristic to reflect to the letter A. From understanding the characteristics I made the raw type which I would add textures and other details within Photoshop later on. 
Figure 7: Board of animals


Figure 8: Designing A


Figure 9: Designing B


Figure 10: Designing D


Figure 11: Designing N


Figure 12: Designing O


Figure 13: Designing U for Uaraki


Figure 14: Designing V for Vulture


Figure 15: Adding texture to A 1


Figure 16: Adding texture to A 2


Figure 16: Adding texture to A 3


Figure 17: Adding ears to A 4


Figure 18: Adding ears to A 5


Figure 19: Creating custom brush for fur 


Figure 20: Adding fur texture 1 


Figure 21:  Adding fur texture 2


Figure 22: Adding bevel


Figure 23: Adding shadow


Figure 24: Adding elephant texture


Figure 25: Adding tusk


Figure 26: Adding texture to C


Figure 27: Adding texture to E


Figure 28: Adding color to E


Figure 29: Creating H


Figure 30: Adding texture to J


Figure 31: Creating poster 1


Figure 32: Creating poster 2


Figure 33: Creating poster 3


Figure 34: Creating poster 4


Figure 35: Creating poster 5
Figure 36: First draft poster
After some feedback on the typefaces used and the overall layout, I went back and attempted to fix it. This has resulted in the final poster seen below. 
Figure 37: Final Animal Poster


Feedback
Week 10:


Holiday

Week 11:

Absent

Week 12:

Make sure the type reflects the animals characteristics.


Reflect
Experience

Week 10; Thinking about my final project was a bigger challenge than I thought it was. Week 11; I felt that my ideas were great but it seemed great ideas has been done. Week 12; I found my new idea great and I was able to work with it very easily. 

Observation

Week 10; I found myself looking at the world to get inspiration. Week 11; My idea had been done before and I found myself set back. Week 12; I found working far easier once I had a solid idea.

Findings
Week 10; Looking at our surroundings may help us sometimes, but if we try to hard we won't see anything. Week 11; Sometimes ideas have already been done but sometimes that helps us find new ideas. Week 12; Good ideas come naturally sometimes, just as my idea had come out of the blue while I was driving.  

Further Reading
Week 11 (11/04/19)
When Typography Speaks Louder Than Words by Carolyn Knight and Jessica Glaser
Figure 38: When Typography Speaks Louder Than Words by Carolyn Knight and Jessica Glaser
The article I read for week 11 was something I had looked at while thinking of ideas for the final project. It had showed how typography can express and raise ideas to the audience. An example they showed was a reworking of Kit-Kats logo to say "killer" to demonstrate deforestation. This article was a good read to help me think about my very own final project. 

Comments