04/13/2020 - 05/11/2020
Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)
Packaging and Merchandising DesignExercises
Lecture Notes
Week 1 (04/13/2020)
Week 2 (04/20/2020)
Week 3 (04/27/2020)
Week 4 (05/04/2020)
Instructions
Exercises
Week 1
For the first exercise for this class, we were tasked with creating two boxes for two loose items. The items I had chosen were hair serum and hair wax. With those in mind, I had sketched out a rough plan. I measured the products to figure out how big the box would be. Below is the items and the sketches made.
Week 3
For this week we were to present references for the playing card exercise as well as our early sketches. Below are references I looked to for my style of minimalist cards as well as early sketches.
Fig 4: Playing card sketches
Week 4
I had showed my playing cards to Mr Shamsul and got some feedback which I quickly fixed as they were minor issues. The final submission of the cards can be seen below.
Feedback
Week 1: No feedback as we were being briefed on our course
Week 2: Mr Shamsul said it had looked good but the box for the hair serum looked weak. It said to find a way to make it more sturdier.
Week 3: Mr Shamsul the final submission of the box exercise could be better but it is ok.
Week 4: Try adding a patterned texture and organize the houses in a more interesting manner.
Week 5: Holiday
Reflect
Experience
Week 1; I'm not sure what to experience but so far it feels ok with online classes. Week 2; I find it difficult being limited by the situation but so far okay still. Week 3; Due to the situation and my limited materials, I am okay with the work I submitted for the exercise. Week 4; I found the playing card exercise really fun because I had really liked my work, I wished I could've had printed out and used it.
Observation
Week 1; I'm waiting to see how this semester will go with the new online platform. Week 2; I saw that mockups are a trial and error process as without it, I wouldn't have found that a lid would be better with my limited materials. Week 3; I saw that everyone leans into the style they are most comfortable with, that goes for me as well. Week 4; I saw that a lot of people had the same chosen style but the way they executed it look very different from each other.
Findings
Experience
Week 1; I'm not sure what to experience but so far it feels ok with online classes. Week 2; I find it difficult being limited by the situation but so far okay still. Week 3; Due to the situation and my limited materials, I am okay with the work I submitted for the exercise. Week 4; I found the playing card exercise really fun because I had really liked my work, I wished I could've had printed out and used it.
Observation
Week 1; I'm waiting to see how this semester will go with the new online platform. Week 2; I saw that mockups are a trial and error process as without it, I wouldn't have found that a lid would be better with my limited materials. Week 3; I saw that everyone leans into the style they are most comfortable with, that goes for me as well. Week 4; I saw that a lot of people had the same chosen style but the way they executed it look very different from each other.
Findings
Week 1; I'm eager and excited to see what this class will have. Week 2; I find the mockup process tedious but necessary at times. Week 3; I find it's okay to lean into what we are most familiar with but we shouldn't get comfortable with it. Week 4; Just because we do the same thing, things can be executed differently and that's the beauty of design.
Further Reading
Packaging for visually-imparied people: Victoria Watts Interview by Jessica Paige
(4/30/2020)
![]() |
| Fig 5: Packaging for visually-imparied people: Victoria Watts Interview by Jessica Paige |
I had read this article because it's interesting to see what designers do when it comes to designing for an audience. In this case, a visually impaired audience.
Rethinking packaging, rethinking product design by Jacci Howard Bear
(5/13/2020)
Fig 6: Rethinking packaging, rethinking product design by Jacci Howard Bear
I decided to read this article because it correlated to my dissertation topic and also packaging which was related to this article. Reading further into it, it didn't focus as much on the visual design aspect but more specifically on materials and other aspects that are more crucial to help the environment.






Comments
Post a Comment