Publishing Design - Exercises

04/15/2020
Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)
Publishing Design
Exercises

Lecture Notes

Week 1 (4/15/2020)
The first lecture was about the format of books throughout history. How we have gone from simple tokens and every form through that till we reached the book format we know today. 

Week 2 (4/22/2020)
The second lecture was about the history of print. This is because before, everything would be handwritten. Examples of this is how we've gone from woodblock printing which was very labor intensive which then became far easier with movable type

Week 3 (4/29/2020)
For our third lecture it was a lecture about typography. This lecture was in a way a recap of everything we had learnt in previous classes of typography and advanced typography. There were still things that we had not gone through, such as the error of underlining in which the line should never touch the characters.

Week 4 (5/6/2020) 
During the fourth lecture we were taught about the grid system. The grid system is utilized in a way that allows for designers to organize elements in a legible manner. 

Week 5 (5/13/2020)
For the 5th week, Mr Vinod had lectured us about elements. The elements are essentially the things that are seen, for example a picture is a visual element. 

Instructions


Exercises
Week 1

The first exercise we did was create a mockup of a book. We measured out different sizes between A4 and A5. We then chose the size we liked the most and cut out the pages to the size we chose. After we put 8 pages of the size we like to create the mockup. These can be seen below.
Fig 1: Sizings between A4 and A5
Fig 2: Singular page of chosen size
Fig 3: Full mockup book of chosen size


For the first part of the project, we were required to create content for our book. The requirements for the book were that it be near a 3000 word count with at least 3 chapters. Furthermore it was required that we needed 3+ subtexts with captions in each chapters. Seen below is my content for the book.


Fig 3: Full mockup book of chosen size
Week 2

For week 2 the exercises we had to do were make a physical Van De Graaf and a digital Van De Graaf. The other exercises we had done this week was showing two versions of page signatures. One before cutting and one after cutting. We were also to inspect layouts of chosen typographical book layouts. These can all be seen below.

Fig 4: Signature book
Fig 5: Layout exercise 1

Fig 6: Layout exercise 1.2

Fig 7: Layout exercise 2
Fig 8: Layout exercise 2.2
Fig 9: Physical Van De Graaf



Fig 10: Digital Van De Graaf

Fig 11: Digital Van De Graaf with words

I had also gained feedback about my 3000 word content, with the updates seen below. The highlighted areas are the parts where I would like to create visualization for. 

Fig 12: Updated word content

Week 3



During week 3 we had done another exercise this time centering around form and movement. This exercise is seen below. 

Fig 13: Movement exercise

Week 4

We were then told to do another one as well as add color to both our previous version and the new version. These can be seen below.

Fig 14: Movement exercise with color

Fig 15: Movement exercise 2

Fig 16: Movement exercise 2 with color
Week 5

For the exercise, we were told to add a photo to one of the movement layouts we created. This is seen below.

Fig 17: Movement exercise with color and image

Week 6

For week 6 the last thing we were told to do with our exercise was add text. This was with lorem ipsum. This exercise is seen below. 



Fig 18: Movement exercise with color, image and text


Feedback
Week 1: Mr Vinod said to make sure we have all three items and for the photos to be clear and in a manner that we would display any other of our pieces. We were to have our 3000 words done by next time we meet. We were also reminded that our references must be recorded. Mr Vinod said to try to find a harder paper to act as the cover for my mockup book so it feels more like an actual book you would hold. As for my 3000 word content idea, Mr Vinod gave me feedback that using a script may be hard to transform into an actual book do to all the formatting of a script vs the formatting of a book. With that considered he was not against it.

Week 2:Mr Vinod had told me to make sure the paragraph spaces are correct for the imprint. He had also told me to highlight within the text where I would like to visualise. I also need to underline the pull quotes. Furthermore Mr Vinod told me to add more subtexts within the my content.

Week 3: No feedback.

Week 4: Mr Vinod said my exercise was simple but good.

Week 5: After looking at my movement exercises, Mr Vinod had said to go with my first layout as it had looked better.

Week 6: Mr Vinod said one of the pages felt too strong but it's okay if that was what I was going for.


Reflect

Experience

Week 1; Doing online classes makes everything feel very confusing. Week 2; The feedback gained through these new online teaching seems worse than the feedback gained if we were in physical classes. Week 3; So far the class is quite stressful but manageable. Week 4; I feel there is a lot of work for this semester, not just coming from this class. Week 5; I'm struggling to keep up with the workload given this semester.



Observation

Week 1; It feel's much harder to grasp what is happening within online classes. Week 2; There were a lot more exercises to be completed this week and I felt quite stressed with everything going on. Week 3; As long as I manage my time, I believe I will stay on top. Week 4; Online classes make staying on top of work a little more confusing. Week 5; I find myself having less drive to work with the current conditions of online classes and MCO. 



Findings
Week 1; The use of online classes allows me to go back on the lecture incase I need to understand. Week 2; I find that if I just slowly take my time, one thing at a time I can handle it. The blessing of online classes is that I can rewind and go back till I understand and pause if I need to. Week 3; Time management is key. Week 4; A lot of classes have different platforms so it's quite confusing to manage them all. Week 5; Being stuck inside everyday does not help. 

Further Reading

A Guide to Design Book Publishing for the Non-Rich and Non-Famous by Anne Quito
(4/22/2020)
Fig 19: A Guide to Design Book Publishing for the Non-Rich and Non-Famous by Anne Quito
For this week I had read the article above. I read this because the article title had simply caught my attention. I had also chosen to read this because I felt that I could learn something about book publishing, especially because this was the project we were working on at the moment. From this article I learnt the many difficulties there is within book publishing such as the costs and time managements involved. What makes it worth it, is the end result. Seeing the hard work being put into something physical that others can appreciate. I hope to see this with my very own project. 

How Publishing Works: A Book Designer's Perspective By Zoe Sadokierski
(4/29/2020)
Fig 20: How Publishing Works: A Book Designer's Perspective by Zoe Sadokierski

For this week I had read the article above. I read this because the article was in a way related to the current project we were working on. It was interesting to read about how an actual book is designed within the real world. How the process goes. It's a lot more different than what we are currently doing in which we are tasked with everything. 

Desktop Publishing vs Graphic Design by Jacci Howard Bear
(5/20/2020)
Fig 21: How Publishing Works: A Book Designer's Perspective by Zoe Sadokierski

For this week I had read desktop publishing vs graphic design. I had read this as I am in a graphic design program whilst also being in a publishing class. I had wanted to know if desktop publishing, if any relation to this class had a difference with graphic design. 

Comments