05/20/2020 - 10/06/2020
Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)
Publishing DesignProject 2
Instructions
Project 2
Week 7
After our content generation, we attempted to create our layouts using references we had found. My first layout ideas and references are seen below. My type specimen is also seen below.
Fig 1: Layout References
Fig 2: Type specimen jpg
Fig 3: Type specimen pdf
Fig 4: First layout attempt
After feedback, I went back and created 2 alternate versions of a new layout as Mr Vinod told us to rework our layouts. These are seen below. I had gone with Version 3 in the end.
Fig 3: Second layout attempt
Fig 4: Third layout attempt
Week 9
This week we finalized our book and cover. Below are two attempts of my cover and the final outcome as a thumbnail and as spreads. A link to a digital version of the book is also there. As well as a mockup of the book.
Fig 5: First cover attempt
Fig 8: Final book thumbnail pdf

Fig 9: Final book spread 1
Fig 10: Final book spread 2
Fig 11: Final book spread 3
Fig 12: Final book spread 4
Fig 13: Final book spread 5
Fig 14: Final book spread 6
Fig 16: Final book spread 8
Fig 17: Final book spread 9
Fig 18: Final book spread 10
Fig 19: Final book spread 11
Fig 20: Final book spread 12
Fig 21: Final book spread 13
Fig 22: Final book spread 14
Fig 25: Book mockup
Feedback
Week 7: Need to restructure the layout of the pages and make sure it fits to one grid layout instead of different for each page
Week 8: Mr Vinod had asked me to see if left justify would work with the body text. Furthermore he said that the subtext being under the headline doesn't work so I should figure out a way to work it out
Week 9: Set imprint to balance with the publisher and name. Introduce the black page one more time through the layout to ensure variety through the page.
Week 7; I find it hard to be creative after being at the screen all day. Week 8; I needed a breather to get back into the groove of things. Week 9; A huge weight was off my back after completing the book.
Week 7; It's important to take breaks. Week 8; Sometimes I get too stressed over projects and lose my focus and creativity, its important to breathe. Week 9; The more assignments get done, the better I feel.
Reflect
Experience
Week 7; I found it quite hard to begin my idea of a layout. Week 8; After Mr Vinod's feedback, I had gotten a better idea of what to do. Week 9; It feels good to put this part of the project to a close.
Observation
Findings
Further Reading
The Project Behind A Front Page Full of Names by John Grippe
(6/3/2020)
Fig 26: The Project Behind A Front Page Full of Names by John Grippe
The article I had read this week was about the New York Times and the idea behind how the 100,000 deaths to Covid-19 was presented. It was an interesting read to see that they could have gone done a visual way of images instead. It was also interesting to see that this design was inspired by old newspapers.


















Comments
Post a Comment