05/18/2020 - 06/08/2020
Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)
Packaging and Merchandising DesignProject 1
Lecture Notes
Week 6 (05/18/2020)
Instructions
Project 1
Week 6
For this project we were tasked with making a version of the McDonalds Happy Meal packaging based around a topic we had wanted to educate kids on. Due to the current situation, I centered my idea around Covid-19. This week I had showed my sketches and semi-com.
![]() |
| Fig 1: Happy Meal packaging sketches |
![]() |
| Fig 2: Semicom 1 |
![]() |
| Fig 3: Semicom 2 |
![]() |
| Fig 4: Semicom 3 |
![]() |
| Fig 5: Semicom 4 |
Week 7
With my semicom approved I began to digitize my characters. This is seen below.
Feedback
Week 6: Maybe try making a series of the packaging
Week 7: I had gotten feedback that I should have the outline so the red on the characters don't blend in
Week 8: Be wary of the information that is required on the packaging
Week 9: Holiday
![]() |
| Fig 6: Digitized McDonalds Characters |
Week 8
This week I completed the die lines.
![]() |
| Fig 7: Happy Meal die line |
![]() |
| Fig 8: Fun fries die line |
Week 9
This week I submitted everything for the project including the mockup. These are seen within the slides below.
Feedback
Week 6: Maybe try making a series of the packaging
Week 7: I had gotten feedback that I should have the outline so the red on the characters don't blend in
Week 8: Be wary of the information that is required on the packaging
Week 9: Holiday
Reflect
Experience
Week 6; I felt like my idea came quite quickly for this project due to the situation we are in. Week 7; I'm liking my progression on this project and feel like I'm on a good track. Week 8; I think I liked tried drawing in a style I don't usually do.
Observation
Week 6; When it came to the ideas, I felt like a lot of people focused on the idea of health most likely due to the pandemic. Week 7; I observed that a lot of people had ideas that not only stopped from the visual design but involved the packaging as a whole. Week 8; I observed a lot of people having difficulty with their projects when I felt that mine was easily done most likely due to the style I had chosen.
Findings
Experience
Week 6; I felt like my idea came quite quickly for this project due to the situation we are in. Week 7; I'm liking my progression on this project and feel like I'm on a good track. Week 8; I think I liked tried drawing in a style I don't usually do.
Observation
Week 6; When it came to the ideas, I felt like a lot of people focused on the idea of health most likely due to the pandemic. Week 7; I observed that a lot of people had ideas that not only stopped from the visual design but involved the packaging as a whole. Week 8; I observed a lot of people having difficulty with their projects when I felt that mine was easily done most likely due to the style I had chosen.
Findings
Week 6; I found that things should be simplified when designing for a young audience. Week 7; I had discovered a new trick even if it was simple through Mr Shamsul's feedback. Week 8; I found it's quite easy to do a mockup once you have an image of the product you are basing it off.
Further Reading
The Project Behind A Front Page Full of Names by John Grippe
(6/3/2020)
Fig 9: The Project Behind A Front Page Full of Names by John Grippe
The article I had read this week was about the New York Times and the idea behind how the 100,000 deaths to Covid-19 was presented. It was an interesting read to see that they could have gone a visual way of images instead. It was also interesting to see that this design was inspired by old newspapers. It just goes to show how information can be presented in different ways, as well as the importance of references.








Comments
Post a Comment