Publishing Design - Final Project

06/17/2020 - 07/0/2020
Ahmad Syaqiel Mohd Ashri (0338345)
Publishing Design
Final Project

Instructions


Project 2

Week 10

For the final project, we were tasked with converting our book to an ebook. Specifically for the screen of an iPad. For this week I had showed my first attempt at the ebook layout. I had also started some animations which are seen below.


 


Figure 1: 1st attempt of ebook layout



Figure 2: 1st attempt of hands gif


Figure 3: 1st attempt of falling gif


Figure 4: 1st attempt of nurses gif

Week 11

For this week I commenced on more animations which are seen below. 


Figure 5: Hallway gif


Figure 6: Beach gif


Figure 7: Squeeze gif


Figure 8: Shiver gif


Figure 9: Lights gif

Figure 10: 1st attempt of shower gif
Week 12

During this week I had finished the layout of my ebook. I had also finished most of my animations, with only the cover remaining. These are all seen below.

Figure 11: Updated ebook layout

Figure 12: Reworked falling gif 

Figure 13: Hug gif

Figure 14: Monster gif

Figure 15: Laptop gif

Figure 16: Reworked nurse gif

Figure 17: Smile gif

Figure 18: Reworked shower gif

Figure 19: Reworked hands gif

Figure 20: Reworked lights gif

Figure 21: Bleeding gif

Figure 22: Jumpscare gif


Week 13

During this week I had animated the cover and added a home button to the layout. This is seen below.

Figure 23: Cover gif






Figure 24: Completed draft of ebook

Week 14

With feedback, I updated my ebook with minor changes. The final animations and ebook are seen below.

Figure 25: Cover gif

Figure 26: Hallway gif

Figure 27: Beach gif

Figure 28: Squeeze gif

Figure 29: Shiver gif

Figure 30: Falling gif 

Figure 31: Hug gif

Figure 32: Monster gif

Figure 33: Laptop gif

Figure 34: Nurse gif

Figure 35: Smile gif

Figure 36: Shower gif

Figure 37: Hands gif

Figure 38: Lights gif

Figure 39: Bleeding gif

Figure 40: Jumpscare gif

Figure 41: Ebook thumbnails 1

Figure 42: Ebook thumbnails 2

Figure 43: Ebook thumbnails 3


Figure 44: Ebook thumbnails pdf


Figure 45: Final ebook pdf

Figure 46: Final ebook epub


Feedback

Week 11: Try to get a smoother rain, go back to the images of the rain instead of particles. Adjusting the kerning and the sizing of acronyms by .5.

Week 12: Finish up the book with the animations and put the linking. Try to finish by Week 13.

Week 13: Adjust home button placement, and try for an icon instead

Reflect

Experience

Week 11; I'm feeling extremely stressed with the amount of work. Week 12; I've lowered the workload by a small amount but I feel like I'm not putting enough energy into the final project because I'm diverting my attention to other assignments. Week 13; Feels good to be done with this project.  

Observation

Week 11; It's very hard to think creatively. Week 12; I think I could do better. Week 13; With work done, I feel relieved and can divert my time to other assignments.  

Findings

Week 11; When I'm stressed, I start to tunnel vision on ideas or just can't generate ideas at all. Week 12; It's demotivating when I feel like I could do more but feel like I don't have time for it. Week 13; With less work, means less stress, means more relaxed work.    

Further Reading

The Medium is the Massage: An Inventory of Effects by Marshal McLuhan & Quentin Fiore
(7/1/2020)

Fig 47: The Medium is the Massage: An Inventory of Effects by Marshal McLuhan & Quentin Fiore

I had picked up this book as I was looking around my brothers room. I looked at it because it was a very eye catching design. The meaning of the book is placing the important about the power of the medium rather than the content itself. It's a very interesting read as it's quite dated but the view of Marshall McLuhan can still be applied today. 

Comments