Information Design - Exercises

01/05/2021 - 01/29/2021

Ahmad Syaqiel Bin Mohd Ashri (0338345)

Information Design

Exercises


Lessons

Week 1

During our first week of class we were briefed on what to expect from the coming classes. We were run through the assignments we would be working on and explained to us what was information design. 


Week 2

Within the 2nd week our classmates had taught us, through the FLIP presentations. The first flip presentation was on the type of infographics there are. Some small examples of them were statistical, timeline, process, infographics etc. The second flip presentation shown this week was on the LATCH system which was for our 2nd exercise. The LATCH system stood for location, alphabet, time, category, and hierarchy. This was to help in sorting data in a better clear way. 


Week 3

Week 3 was the third flip class in which my group and I had taught about chunking. Chunking is the process of grouping data in a more legible manner so that the brain can process it. This is done with the help of Miller's Law of +/- 7. 


Week 4

During the last week of lectures, the final FLIP presentation was on Manuel Lima's 9 directive manifestos. These 9 were; form follows function, interactivity is key, cite your sources, the power of narrative, do not glorify aesthetics, look for relevancy, embrace time, aspire for knowledge, and avoid gratuitous visualizations. 


Instructions


Exercises

Exercise 1

Week 1

For the first exercise we were to get a group of items and sort them to quantify the data. What I had lying around was old expired "bola mercun". Within the first image you can see me initially sorting out the data but I later realized I had miscounted.  

Fig 1: Sorting data of bola mercun

Week 2

During week 2 I went through different ideas of how to sort the data. I eventually found a way that I had liked after realized I miscounted the "bola mercun". The final outcome and the process of initial ideas can be seen below. 

Fig 2.1: Initial idea of sorting 

Fig 2.2: Initial idea of sorting 2 

Fig 3: Final Outcome

Exercise 2

Week 3

For this exercise we were to use the LATCH method we had learnt about and create an infographic based off data we had wanted to use. For me I really liked Avatar The Last Airbender, so I had wanted to do an infographic based around the animals. I had done an early sketch of it within my sketchbook seen below.

Fig 4: Sketch of LATCH idea

Week 4

I had digitized my idea and showed the initial draft. I had given a texture to it because I had wanted it to fit into the world of The Avatar by being on a parchment paper where an artist could make this "infographic scroll" detailing the animals. It's also why I had done the simple details to represent the elements seen within the isometric cubes. After some feedback I altered it to use the space better and give more detail. The initial draft and final outcome is seen below. 

Fig 5: Initial draft of LATCH idea

Fig 6: Final Outcome


Feedback

Week 2

The feedback I got this week was that I had a unique subject, with it being the bola mercun. I was suggested to try a spiral after showing my first initial draft of it coming off the paper. 

Week 3

For week 3 the feedback I got on my latch exercise was that I needed to better use the space. I was also suggested to try a different layout and possibly place the actual characters from the show to aid in representing the elements.


Reflection

Experience

It's been a couple semesters already doing online classes but I feel that online classes are still a struggle. Especially when it comes to certain exercises such as the first. I had to work with what I had lying around as I was unable to go out to get supplies due to COVID-19. Though even with that in mind, I feel that it didn't stop my learning experience from these exercises. It just halted the outcome I had wanted for the exercise.

Observation

From being in the class and being a senior of the class, I can see that a lot of my juniors within this class are very talented in their design skills. I was able to see this from how they executed their exercises. From this observation, I feel that I could learn from my juniors. 

Findings

From this class I found the exercises to be simple but also interesting. It had taught me a lot on how to sort data and better think things through for visualizing data. 

Comments